A 125 Year Rivalry: Randolph-Macon vs. Hampden-Sydney Football
In 1893, 125 years ago, the first football game between Randolph-Macon College and Hampden-Sydney College was played, planting the seed for a deeply rooted competition. Although each team's football stamina was at the heart of the rivalry, all areas of college life became involved in one way or another. The traditional rivalry technically focused solely on the football game every Fall, but eventually expanded. The Tiger-Yellow Jackets Cup was introduced in 1973 to make the competitive spirit more productive for both schools and was focused on performance from both student bodies in blood drives, intramural sports, and obviously the culminating game. The involvement of all of these factors, from the history of the two schools to more current student involvement, has made Hampden-Sydney Week what it is today.
“The Game” is highly-anticipated each season. As of the end of the 2017 season, the teams have played 122 times, R-MC has won 51 times, H-SC has won 60 times, and there have been 11 ties. Since 2008, R-MC has won seven times including the last four years in a row!
Program covers from the R-MC Archives are featured below. Click on the thumbnail to display a larger image. Click the larger image for a full screen view.
The McGraw-Page Library has collected many materials over the course of time that tell the year-by-year story of this great rivalry. The Yellow Jacket Weekly provided coverage from the earliest dates. Many issues of the Yellow Jacket Annual provide summaries and photographs of the yearly contest. Audio files are available from interviews/oral histories in the Living Legacies and Macon Memories collections. Items collected from the games themselves, such as the game programs, provide specific information about the individual games.
The Flavia Reed Owen Special Collections and Archives at the McGraw-Page Library houses several significant historical and literary collections in addition to preserving the historic archives of the college. Special Collections and Archives was named in honor of Flavia Reed Owen, the College Librarian from 1946-1984.